Monday, December 8, 2008

I Love My Job!!!

Every day in labor and delivery is so different so I better hurry and write this post before I change my mind. =)

I really love my job. It is such an exciting and generally positive atmosphere. Birth is truly a miraculous event to take part in every day. People are so trusting of nurses and doctors and it is such a privilege to help them. I have to remind myself that even though I see deliveries every time I work, this is a huge deal for each individual family. It is so special for them and I try to remember that.

I had a patient yesterday who was so sweet. She said, "I'm so glad you're my nurse. You're so nice and helpful. Thank you so much for all your help." What a difference that makes in my day. I not only appreciate her kind words but it makes me want to be even better.

Another fun thing about being a labor and delivery nurse is that when women find that out, they immediately want to tell me their birth stories of when they had their kids. I actually like hearing about them and I like feeling included in the "mommy talk" even though I haven't had any of my own. (You know what I'm talking about. All the ladies at enrichment or wherever all talking about their labor and delivery experience.)

Being a nurse is a 24 hour job. (Or so I've learned.) Last weekend alone I think I got 4 "nurse calls" from random friends/ward members who need health advice. I always try to give helpful information but of course I don't remember everything from nursing school. Hopefully I can ease some fears of worried moms or moms-to-be.

I'm so grateful to be a nurse. And at least I know I'll always have a job because people will never stop getting pregnant. =)

8 comments:

Lindsay Riggs said...

From my (one) experience so far, a considerate labor and delivery nurse makes such a huge difference! There are definitely those who are not very comforting. I'm sure you're such a big help to those moms who desperately need someone to be nice to them!

Clark and Liesel said...

Z I have no doubt that you are the best labor and delivery nurse! I think that is so great that you are in that department! I hope when I have our little one that there are nice nurses that help me. If only there were more people like you in the world it would be a better place! :)

kathrynbrinton said...

Hey guys so fun to catch with your activites and see what all you are doing. I really do love Bert the Turkey. What a fun idea and Elizabeth we know that you a fantastic nurse!! Thanks for your updates.
Merry Christmas!!

Laura said...

I know I'm one of the trusting moms who calls you for prenatal health advice. I do trust your opinion and experience. Maybe you could still come out and be my doula.(If Craig would consent, of course.)=)

Angee said...

What a fun job! And I'm sure you are so awesome at it! Good to see you guys are doing so well! Merry Christmas! :)

Heidi said...

I'm glad you enjoy it! I don't always know answers to questions when I'm asked either. Nursing is great!

The Ducketts said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Ducketts said...

Elizabeth...I cannot thank you enough for your help!!! I watched the video and you were so sweet and extra tender with Koy and it made me cry even harder! You were so sweet and you will be a part of that experience forever. Thank you for the excellent nurse that you are. I will never be able to repay you!