Sunday, March 15, 2009

Lately...

I've been debating in my head back and forth whether or not to post this on our blog. I've come to a conclusion: this is a huge part of our life right now and blogs are not meant to glorify and fictionalize reality into only smiles and laughs. Reality is happiness and sadness, smiles and frowns. This is reality.

Last month Sean and I experienced our second devastating miscarriage. We were thrilled to be expecting again and couldn't wait to share our happy news with everyone. I loved the idea of being a mother and Sean was excited too. As women, all our lives we're taught the importance of motherhood and how nourishing and raising a family is the most important work of all. I thought that after one miscarriage (last August) this would be our second chance. Things would work out and baby would be healthy and well.

Heavenly Father has a different plan for us right now. After hours in the emergency department and many tears later, we came home just the two of us. This has proven to be extremely difficult, frustrating, and sad and it is on my mind every moment of every day. I know that many others couples face similar trials and for you I am so sorry. Miscarriages are quite common but the pain is still very real.

Sean and I have faith that our loving Heavenly Father will make all things right and fair. We try to submit our will to Him and know that if we let Him guide us, we will not go wrong. When I hoped that my prayers would be answered with physical healing, they were instead answered with the strength and patience to bear the burdens placed upon me. He hears us. He loves us. "[He] will not leave you comfortless: [He] will come to you." (John 14:18)

18 comments:

Cori Simmons said...

I am so sorry - It is so true that we all face hardships and often don't know what others are going through. You have the most beautiful smile and never seem to have sadness. Hang in there.

Kristy Carpenter said...

I'm so sorry to hear that Elizabeth! What a great way of looking at this trial though. You are such an example for me. Good luck, and I'll keep you and Sean in my prayers. I love you and I know the Lord loves you and will help you through this difficult time.

Jenni said...

Elizabeth I was so sad for you two when I read this. I cannot imagine the pain you have gone through and the heartache you have felt. I always look around me and see how happy everyone is without realizing that other people go through hard times too. It's not just me. Thank you for sharing and know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. love you!

Tawny said...

I am so sorry. I'm glad you shared this so that people like me can pray for you--and I will. Thank you for your testimony about healing and having faith. You are in my thoughts. May you continually feel the Lord's peace in your hearts!

Merrick said...

I'm so sorry to hear this, Elizabeth...I hope you and Sean are doing okay. You're in my prayers.

Sarah said...

I am so sorry to hear that. You are so strong to post this. I hope this only makes you stronger - good luck with times ahead. Keep thinking about that hymn,

Laura Butler said...

Elizabeth, I am so sorry to hear the sad news! I cried as I read your blog! You are such an amazing person. You're in my thoughts and prayers! Let me know if I can help in any way!

Melanie said...

Elizabeth, I am soooo sorry to hear this!! What an awful ordeal. You have so much strength and a great outlook on life and I know that will help you get through this. I will keep you guys in my thoughts and prayers.

Lindsay Riggs said...

You are blessed to have a strong testimony and a loving husband, but I'm sure this has been a huge trial for you. I'm sure seeing all of the brand new babies at work doesn't make things any easier for you. Keep being your strong, sweet self!

Karissa said...

I'm happy to have found your blog, but I'm so sorry for your miscarriage! That's a really tough thing! I'll pray for you and Sean - you'll make it one day at a time!

Laura said...

Thanks for sharing your experience. I think it strengthens all of us to work through things together.

Melissa said...

elizabeth I am so so sorry. I can't even begin to imagine how hard that is for you guys. I have seen your strong faith and I hope that you know that God is watching over you. Jeff and I have been experiencing similar trials and one of the greatest blessings I can tell you is how close it bring you to your spouse. ALso a great talk I found was called Liberty Jail and it was one of the BYU devotionals last semester. It helped alot. Call if you need anything or anyone to talk to.

Angee said...

I know there are no words from me that can bring you comfort but your message really hit me. I'm so impressed at the strength and wisdom you have already gained from this experience. Though we have never experienced loss like that, we were told we cannot have our own children so I can imagine how hard this is for you. I know that you will continue to be strengthened through Heavenly Father and that you and Sean will grow so close from this. I hope that peace continues to grow in your heart and will ease some of the pain.

Nicki said...

Elizabeth, I am so sorry. My thoughts and prayers are with you. If it helps, I miscarried twice before I had Kade. Be patient and prayerful and I know that things will work our for you and Sean. Please let me know if I can do anything to help.

tina said...

I am so sorry! I had no idea. I haven't seen you for a while. Hope you are feeling better. And I promise even though you will never forget, the pain will slowly subside through time. You will feel whole again. You will understand the why's someday. But for now, continue to be strong and have faith and know you are loved.

Kristin said...

Elizabeth, you are so sweet and I truly admire the faith that you and Sean have in such a hard time. I also thank you for sharing your experience--you're in my thoughts & prayers!

Julie Radmall said...

I'm glad you posted this, to help us understand what you're going through, and so you know how much everyone loves you! I am so sorry and hope the best for you. Thanks for being happy for me. I'll be praying for you!

Riley + Tarryn said...

I'm so sorry. I admire your strength and testimony and I know that our loving Father in Heaven is aware of you and Sean. Stay strong. You're in our thoughts and prayers!