Friday, January 30, 2009

I'm officially a cake decorator

A few months ago Sean was encouraging me to try out something new and fun. Since I'm not in school anymore I needed to find an outlet besides nursing. So I decided to take up cake decorating. We're not huge "cake fans" but I still think it's a fun skill to have under your belt. So here's how the last four weeks went.

Week One: I went to cake class and learned lots but didn't have to bake my own cake.

Week Two: We had to bring a layered cake with filling in the middle and completely frosted. Here is the blank canvas.
Here it is after I decorated it.
So proud of my very first cake. (The class was from 7-9pm and right after this picture I had to run off to work from 10pm to 6am. No time to enjoy the cake at home so I took it to work with me and the other nurses loved it.)
Week Three: We learned lots of new techniques including the clown. It looks kind of creepy with the flash from the camera but actually it was kind of cute.
This week's assignment was cupcakes. I've always liked cupcakes because they are a perfect little size, easy to share and pass out, and yummy too.
Week Four: Our final project was the rose. It was kind of difficult but once you get the hang of it, no sweat. This is my bouquet all made from frosting.
I put the roses on the side of the cake thinking that I'd want to put words in the blank spot. I couldn't think of anything to write so I left it empty. Oh well.
I encourage everyone to step out of the box and try a new skill or talent that you've never tried before. It was pretty fun.

10 comments:

Melissa said...

oh my gosh my sister and I have been talking about this for weeks. We really want to take a cake decorating class. Where did you take it from?

Merrick said...

My dad and I took a cake decorating class when I was in high school...it's a really fun skill!

I'm totally impressed by those roses - mine never looked that good.

Jenni said...

isn't Wilton awesome?? I took this class last year with a whole bunch of friends...it was a lot of fun! Your cupcakes turned out so cute. You did a great job!

Kristy Carpenter said...

That's awesome!! Your bouquet looks amazing!! Nice work. Totally impressed.

Heidi said...

Great job! I remember taking my first cake class. I'm an addict. :)

Clark and Liesel said...

Wow Z! I am very impressed with your work. I have always wanted to learn how to do it, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Maybe someday!

Kristin said...

Elizabeth, you're so cute! I'm so impressed! Where did you take that class?

Laura said...

I am seriously VERY impressed with your roses! I hated roses. For some reason (I think my frosting was too stiff) I could not get the hang of roses. I think my "rose cake" had maybe two roses on it, probably one of which was made by my instructor.

The Woods said...

Oh Libby, I just love you. You're so cute. I'm so proud of you for learning a new skill!

Dani said...

Elizabeth, I am so impressed! They're all so beautiful and perfect! Wow!