Tuesday, June 15, 2010

A first for me...

Never in my life have I run a real race. I've never been an athlete or a runner. I've always admired that in others but never thought it was for me. That was until my friend Sarah suggested we run the Utah Valley 5K together. At first I thought of every excuse not to do it:

1. I'm working nights and have no energy to train.
2. I'm nursing and don't want to have to coordinate going running right after feeding Grant.
3. I don't have nice running shoes.
4. I have asthma.

You get the idea. Sarah was encouraging and so I decided to do it and I'm so glad I did.

We trained a little and my goal was to run the whole 3.2 miles without stopping. We did it!!! It was a tough run for me. At the end I though my legs might fall off, but it was awesome. My time was 31 minutes and 56 seconds. Maybe I'll do another and try to improve. For now I'm proud to say I did it and I loved having Grant and Sean cheer me on.

Can you spot us in blue?

I wanted to get a picture of me holding Grant but it wasn't worth waking him up.
Thanks Sarah for being a great trainer and friend. That was so fun!!
And because no post is complete without an update on Grant--he loves locking his knees and standing up on anything.

5 comments:

Kristin said...

Good for you! You look great! I can't believe Grant's already standing up...I love his cute chubby legs. :)

Anonymous said...

way to be on the run! i can't believe he can stand like that, he thinks he is 5 years old!

Jenni said...

Way to go Elizabeth! Some days running can be fun, but most the time for me I am dying in less than 10 minutes!

Lindsay Riggs said...

Great job, Elizabeth! Grant is growing up so fast!

Steve and Kathy said...

Congrats on the race, you can pat yourself on the back for that accomplishment. See funny Grant, funny, funny Grant. Is he catching flies?-mom